Skip to main content

I bribe my son and I feel it's not that bad

Today I am going to admit of what many parenting experts may consider wrong. I am an unashamed briber of my son and my husband also does that without thinking much about it. My son is not much fussy about eating but many times I say "Finish your plate and you'll get a Dairy Milk." Then happens when he is not ready to be quite while combing his hair, we use this bribing trick, "Once your hair are done, you'll get my cell phone."  I know the army of parenting gurus can be judgmental and they would criticize me that I am extrinsically rewarding my son. Rather than giving him intrinsic benefits, I am taking a wrong step of rewarding him based on his acts. To which I would say "Is that really so bad?"
Sometimes kids are non compliant, non-cooperative, who not only don't know what's good for them, they even don't go with what their parents think is good for them. For example, tooth brushing, getting homework done, sitting quietly, not jumping over the bed and hell long this list can be. I always get confused when I think about intrinsic benefits in doing activities like cleaning teeth and sitting quietly. I don't see it a normal expectation that my 21 months old tot can understand the joy of having clean teeth. Like many other kids, my son only understands that his mother is behaving normal if I allow him to play with tooth paste without forcing him to correctly use tooth brush inside his mouth. When it's hard for me to understand the meaning of giving "intrinsic benefits", I am very sure my son would not be able to feel them. 
I think, as a parent, my responsibility is to make my son's life enjoyable. Honestly, I give least value to this term intrinsic benefit and I am in favor of giving him extrinsic pleasures that he can cherish fully. For example, having a chocolate, playing with my cell phone and jumping over bed. I am mature enough to make a balance for these activities like too mush of chocolate is not good for teeth, too much of cell phones are not good for health. I use bribe when I need speed, when I am asking a-lot and getting no replies from my son. I go for rewards when I want to my son to do things which he hates and they are actually good for him.
I have read in many expert's article that continuous bribing can make kids less interested in doing things and it also hampers their creativity. But, with due respect to experts, I would say it's not a mathematical formula that should be applied everywhere. Those who have time to argue with kids in a sensible manner for getting things done or they are able to make them understand the intrinsic benefits behind doing those things, are really lucky. They are blessed with incredible strength and patience, or they have easy going kids. Mine is tricky and I don't feel bad about bribing him at times. I call it "motivating" and "encouraging". After all I want him to enjoy his toddler-hood, good habits he can learn slowly. A little cheating with rules is allowed in my house!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

पत्नियों के लिए भी एक व्रत का प्रस्ताव..

अरे याद है ना.. हर साल की तरह वो प्यार का त्यौहार फिर से आ गया.. अच्छा तो आप कंफ्यूज हो गई कि ये वैलेंटाइन डे तो कब का जा चुका अब किस प्यार के त्यौहार कि बात करने लगी मैं.. बताती हूँ बताती हूँ.. अपनी हिन्दू सभ्यता में भी एक प्यार का त्यौहार होता है "करवा चौथ.."अहा, क्या उत्सव है प्रेम का. पहले प्रेम मिश्रित सेवा फिर सेवा के बदले प्रेम मिश्रित उपहार. वाह..

बाजार पट गए है डिज़ाइनर चमकदार छलनी से लेकर गोटे लगी थालियों से और होने भी चाहिए. आखिर इस कदर महान संस्कृति जिसमें पति को देवता मान कर, उनके लिए दिन भर भूखे प्यासे रहकर पत्नियां व्रत करती हैं, उनकी उम्र बढ़ाने जैसा ईश्वरीय कार्य करती हैं, उस दैवीय व्रत का इतना उत्सव तो होना ही चाहिए. और याद रहे चरणस्पर्श करना एकदम जरूरी है व्रत के नियमो के हिसाब से नहीं तो पति की उम्र से छेड़ छाड़ हो सकती है. समझ नहीं आता इतना ज्ञान आया कहा से हमारे पूर्वजो में जिससे ये पता चला कि अगर पत्नी दिन भर भूखे प्यासे रहकर चाँद की पूजा करे तो पति की उम्र साल दर साल बढ़ती जाती है? वैसे धन्य है भारतीय महिलाये. पति चाहे शराबी, जुवारी कबाबी कैसा भी हो, पतियों…

#MoreIndianThanYouThink Being an Indian Mother is Success for me

This world is a beautiful place. It’s really amazing how different countries with their unique cultures exist in harmony here. I know, there are some exceptions; however, I think that is almost negligible when I see the culmination of values and beliefs in our universe. Everyone is exclusive and different, yet all of us make this planet livable. As a mature person who got the chance to understand the ethos of a few other continents, I can proudly say that our country holds a different space in this world, a culture that is known for its strong family system and core values. Feeling proud about our mother land is no unique. But being an Indian, I have gained so much at my professional front.


Yes, I am a working mother of a 3-year-old boy. I have close to 9 years of experience in software industry and I am looking forward to work for more and more years. Being a mother and being a professional person bring two different kinds of challenges in life. And when you work for a demanding clien…

#MothersDay - A blog by Divya, ANAYA's Mother

A mother becomes a mother the day she gets to know about the little embryo inside her womb.
It all started one fine day when I did my pregnancy test and it resulted positive. Life changed from the very moment. I was excited but a bit nervous too. I and my husband were working in two different cities that time. So the excited supermom in me felt extra responsible to take care of the baby. I started spending my days managing home, office, long travel, shopping, exercise, reading and any and every thing which could be added to the list. My baby kept me motivated and never let me feel alone. At times when I felt low she kicked me as if she was saying ‘Don’t worry mom. You rock! :) However, by end of sixth month I felt exhausted and I decided to move to my mother’s place for delivery and give some time to my husband to settle down with his work life.



After seven hectic years of work life I was enjoying a peaceful time. Days were spent in all sorts of preparations to welcome the child. But…