Skip to main content

The disappearing art of letter writing

Do you remember last time when you wrote a letter to someone? Honestly, I can't tell when last time I wrote a personal letter to anybody. My last written communication was in the year 2009 when something was wrong with my SBI account and I wrote an application to the branch manager regarding this. But it's been 7 long years since I have not used pen and paper for writing anything thoughtful as a letter! Why am I tossing around letter writing? Because recently I got a chance to listen to a lady who made me realize that nothing can replace letter writing, although we now have better new age communication mediums like email, texting, facebook and many more.
The lady, Laxmi, is a social entrepreneur and most importantly a family person. She shared that she traveled countries to countries for many years because of her work needs. And during these years, she couldn't meet her aging father with much of time. However, her father did an amazing thing in last two years of his life as he was continuously sick. He wrote letters to his daughter and filled a notebook with his thoughts about her. He addressed the strength and weaknesses of his daughter. He also gave her suggestions for improvement of her life in that notebook. After he passed away, Laxmi felt guilty of not giving much time to her father. But she has letters of his father and those letters changed her panorama about communication. Those handwritten letters still make her feel the presence of his father. Letters have the same, unique yet very known handwriting which is the best font of this world for her.  Laxmi says "whenever I read these letters, I feel connected with my father. This is the same paper which my father had touched and now it is in my hands." How thoughtful is that! Far after we are gone, no one will care about the million texts we have sent. But a letter lasts. 
I got emotional hearing Laxmi's story how letter writing has become special in her life. Letter writing is becoming a disappearing art, a vintage skill. The flow of the pen gracefully etching out one's thoughts into the paper about someone else. I know it is crazy to think about letter writing in this text-crazy world but I miss it.My childhood has seen the charm of letter writing and whenever I recall those days, I get nostalgic. I remember my massi (my mother's elder sister) used to send my mother a letter every month and my mother used to cry after reading massi's letter. The affectionate way in which my massi used to write letters to my mother, was really beautiful. I used to write postcards to my grandfather. It was really fun to write a letter to someone. You wanted to write so many things but space was limited. Still, feelings got exchanged gracefully. There was no assurance when the letter would reach its destination yet people used to write to their loved ones. And receiving a letter from your dear ones was no less than an award which people used to treasure.
I have taken a mission; it is to convince others that handwritten letters should and could make a comeback! Every parent wants kids to inherit good part of his/her life. And I am thinking about passing the legacy of letter writing to my son. And for that, I would also write letters to my son which I am hoping he'll read in future.
Start writing a letter to your loved ones, it feels really good, believe me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

पत्नियों के लिए भी एक व्रत का प्रस्ताव..

अरे याद है ना.. हर साल की तरह वो प्यार का त्यौहार फिर से आ गया.. अच्छा तो आप कंफ्यूज हो गई कि ये वैलेंटाइन डे तो कब का जा चुका अब किस प्यार के त्यौहार कि बात करने लगी मैं.. बताती हूँ बताती हूँ.. अपनी हिन्दू सभ्यता में भी एक प्यार का त्यौहार होता है "करवा चौथ.."अहा, क्या उत्सव है प्रेम का. पहले प्रेम मिश्रित सेवा फिर सेवा के बदले प्रेम मिश्रित उपहार. वाह..

बाजार पट गए है डिज़ाइनर चमकदार छलनी से लेकर गोटे लगी थालियों से और होने भी चाहिए. आखिर इस कदर महान संस्कृति जिसमें पति को देवता मान कर, उनके लिए दिन भर भूखे प्यासे रहकर पत्नियां व्रत करती हैं, उनकी उम्र बढ़ाने जैसा ईश्वरीय कार्य करती हैं, उस दैवीय व्रत का इतना उत्सव तो होना ही चाहिए. और याद रहे चरणस्पर्श करना एकदम जरूरी है व्रत के नियमो के हिसाब से नहीं तो पति की उम्र से छेड़ छाड़ हो सकती है. समझ नहीं आता इतना ज्ञान आया कहा से हमारे पूर्वजो में जिससे ये पता चला कि अगर पत्नी दिन भर भूखे प्यासे रहकर चाँद की पूजा करे तो पति की उम्र साल दर साल बढ़ती जाती है? वैसे धन्य है भारतीय महिलाये. पति चाहे शराबी, जुवारी कबाबी कैसा भी हो, पतियों…

#MoreIndianThanYouThink Being an Indian Mother is Success for me

This world is a beautiful place. It’s really amazing how different countries with their unique cultures exist in harmony here. I know, there are some exceptions; however, I think that is almost negligible when I see the culmination of values and beliefs in our universe. Everyone is exclusive and different, yet all of us make this planet livable. As a mature person who got the chance to understand the ethos of a few other continents, I can proudly say that our country holds a different space in this world, a culture that is known for its strong family system and core values. Feeling proud about our mother land is no unique. But being an Indian, I have gained so much at my professional front.


Yes, I am a working mother of a 3-year-old boy. I have close to 9 years of experience in software industry and I am looking forward to work for more and more years. Being a mother and being a professional person bring two different kinds of challenges in life. And when you work for a demanding clien…

#MothersDay - A blog by Divya, ANAYA's Mother

A mother becomes a mother the day she gets to know about the little embryo inside her womb.
It all started one fine day when I did my pregnancy test and it resulted positive. Life changed from the very moment. I was excited but a bit nervous too. I and my husband were working in two different cities that time. So the excited supermom in me felt extra responsible to take care of the baby. I started spending my days managing home, office, long travel, shopping, exercise, reading and any and every thing which could be added to the list. My baby kept me motivated and never let me feel alone. At times when I felt low she kicked me as if she was saying ‘Don’t worry mom. You rock! :) However, by end of sixth month I felt exhausted and I decided to move to my mother’s place for delivery and give some time to my husband to settle down with his work life.



After seven hectic years of work life I was enjoying a peaceful time. Days were spent in all sorts of preparations to welcome the child. But…